MERP Recovery w/Disabled Adult Child


My mother, who resides in Texas, is on Medicaid since age 65. If she leaves her only disabled child out of her will, can the government recover their expenses? My mother does not get along with that disabled adult child and she has disinherited him in her will.

Comments for MERP Recovery w/Disabled Adult Child

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 13, 2011
Medicaid Recovery Rules
by: Mo Johnson

Your mother is not required to leave anything to any of her children. The state will be entitled to recover all the past Medicaid payments it made during your mother's life to cover her care under Medicaid. If there is anything remaining after the state is paid back, it will pass according to her will.

Thanks to Gabriel Heiser for the above info. You can find other helpful info at

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Medicaid Questions.

Subscribe to
Estate Planning Hub

Your First Name

Your E-mail Address

We keep this private.

Follow the Estate Planning Blog.

--by Beth Heikkinen
Marquette, Michigan
I just want to thank you for this site. It answered my questions. I think many people that do research on the net take it for granted and when they find what they are looking for they forget "someone put time, money, etc into providing me with this information."

Thank you!

Like This Site

Visit Our Social Media Pages

Become a Fan of Estate Planning Hub on Facebook Follow EstatePlanningHub on Twitter Follow EstatePlanningHub on Google+ Subscribe EstatePlanningHub Video on YouTube

Get a PDF version of this website and its sister site here.