Children, Medicaid and Social Security Qualification

by Marlene P.


My granddaughter lives with her Dad, he is on permentant disability so she had medicade and SS check for her. She is now 16 and wants to live with her Mom, her parents are divorced, neither remarried.

My question is will she lose her SS benefits and medicaide if she moves to her Mothers house? Her mother does work but money is still very tight. They live in different counties.


Your question isn't really about medicaid planning which is what we try to address on this site. Rather, you are asking about medicaid and social security qualification.

I would suggest you call your local Social Security office and ask them about the Social Security part of this. The Medicaid part would have to addressed by your state Medicaid bureau or health and human services department (different states call it different names).

These folks are generally pretty helpful for things like this. They won't give legal advice, but for questions about qualification under their programs (SS and Medicaid) -- they should be able to help.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Medicaid Questions.

Subscribe to
Estate Planning Hub

Your First Name

Your E-mail Address

We keep this private.

Follow the Estate Planning Blog.

--by Beth Heikkinen
Marquette, Michigan
I just want to thank you for this site. It answered my questions. I think many people that do research on the net take it for granted and when they find what they are looking for they forget "someone put time, money, etc into providing me with this information."

Thank you!

Like This Site

Visit Our Social Media Pages

Become a Fan of Estate Planning Hub on Facebook Follow EstatePlanningHub on Twitter Follow EstatePlanningHub on Google+ Subscribe EstatePlanningHub Video on YouTube

Get a PDF version of this website and its sister site here.